Saturday, May 1, 2010

En vecka som låtsas vara svenska - Another week pretending to be Swedish

The weekend after Kiruna, I started to feel sick, just like half of the others from my room in the hostel we stayed at. So I spent the majority of the week not feeling the best. Even having to take a day off from school to recover more. Not fun. It's weird being sick in another country! You don't have your favourite foods, drinks or medicines that you always take or eat when you're sick. So that took up the majority of my thoughts etc for the week.

Tuesday morning's Rotary meeting this week meant one thing... PRESENTATION TIME! Everything went splendidly (: Got the projector and computer set up fine, had an enjoyable breakfast, remembered my speech, showed the beauty's of NZ and even managed to answer the majority of their questions! Except for one, haha. So I had previously been told here that they don't get New Zealand wine, so when the topic of our exports came up, I said 'well our wine industry is quite big, but apparently not in Sweden' to which most of the Rotarians were like, uh nope, you can actually find plenty of NZ wines in the System Bolaget (alcohol shop).. Haha, being shown up about my own country... Love it. But hey, I am a Rotary student, NO DRINKING.

Friday here in Sweden was something exciting! It's another one of their strange holidays or celebrations. This one was called Valborg, celebrating the arrival of Spring and the beginning of May. On the night of the last night of April, it is tradition to light massive bonfires! I went down to one of the big public celebrations in Linköping with my host parents. There I met up with Evan and David the two other Rotary students in my town and a Swedish friend Frida. We watched the lighting of the fire and also a fireworks display! It was really awesome, and yeah, I am slightly obsessed with fires. Haha. Really exciting to watch.

 The bonfire at Tannefors slussar - Linköping

Today, I went with my host family out to the summer house for the day. They have been getting it renovated so wanted to check out how everything was going. The house is only about an hour and a half from our house and located on a small island just off the mainland, connected by a bridge and is really close to the water. It was gorgeous! I cant wait to spend some of summer out there with them, and hopefully some more time before then too.

Well, that's about it for the week. Nothing super exciting this week sorry.
Lots of love, Alex.

No comments:

Post a Comment